Marine Engineering

Our skilled engineering department provides a comprehensive range of works from servicing to new engine installation, refurbishment and more. Please see project examples and feel free to contact the workshop manager Duncan to discuss any requirements services@blacknessmarine.co.uk

Project Examples:

Rico Marlin, Volvo

This Rico Marlin was new to the owner and the survey had identified that her starboard engine was overheating and the steering seal was also seen to be failing during the survey sea trial. The engines, given their age, were in need of some ‘TLC’. Blackness Marine was instructed to remove both engines, to tidy up, investigate the overheating issue and sort out the failing seal. On removal of the engines we discovered both steering lip shields had been leaking for some time, causing an unprecedented amount of corrosion to the internal transom shield area. Replacing the shields for new would have cost over £1500 each, so instead we sent them off to have the aluminium around the seals and the water inlet built up at considerably less cost. We also found that the cause of the starboard overheating issue was through mussels growing in the pipes right up to the impeller; we removed all of the debris and cleaned both water systems. The exhaust riser on the starboard engine had corroded and needed a repair kit as the port had already been done. With the engines and drives out we spent some time cleaning off all the rust and replaced many parts. Compression tests were done on both engines. With the injectors out we had them serviced and one was replaced for new. We stripped and cleaned the heat exchangers and replaced all seals, the starter motor and alternator on both engines for new. All seals and wear plates on water pumps were replaced, as was the starboard fuel pump (the same items on the port engine had already been replaced). We removed and cleaned both engine sumps, re-painted them with anti-corrosive epoxy primer and applied a top coat of Volvo green on the engines and cream paint on drives and shields. Before the engines were refitted we repainted the bilges in white. Once the engines were refitted we replaced the gear and throttle cables. The drives were equipped with new bellows and water pipes and the starboard engine trim rams needed new pipes. When everything had been refitted we took the boat on a sea trial for 4 hours, this was successful and resulted in a happy customer!

Back to services

Vancouver 34’, Yanmar 3GM30

Although the engine had been serviced prior to sale, we were asked to revisit the engine and advise on any further recommendations as a long distance sail was planned and the engine needed to be fully capable of the requirements of such a passage. The engine was removed to rectify any issues and upon removal of the exhaust manifold we found the exhaust outlets were blocked with carbon build up, probably because previously the engine had generally just been idling to charge the battery on the mooring. Our engineer recommended giving the engine a complete ‘top end overhaul’ and removing the cylinder head and injectors which on removal were sent away for servicing. We had the cylinder head and exhaust manifold ultra-sonically cleaned, and the valves replaced and re-seated, as were the head gasket and copper washers. We also removed the sump cleaned it and fitted with a new gasket when reinstalling. The water pump, all the seals and the wear plate were replaced and a new impeller was fitted. All rubber pipes were replaced and fitted with new hose clips and all parts were refitted with new gaskets. We decided it best to replace the starter and alternator for new, as both were still original Yanmar. The engine was then painted with epoxy primer and Yanmar grey top coat. As the old engine mounts had delaminated we fitted new ones. Before installing the newly rebuilt engine we fitted a new hot water calorifier, new shaft seal, new bilge pump, and all new skin fittings with a new stringer. We removed old fuel from the tank and cleaned it, replaced the fuel taps and fitted all new fuel lines. Whilst refitting the new engine, we installed flexible cabling, new exhaust hose and raw water pipe. After installing the engine, we ran it for 30 minutes to make sure everything operated correctly. The next day it was launched and used by the customer for a week before coming back to be double-checked by the engineer. All was well for the customer to successfully relocate her.

Back to services

Storm Force II, 2 x 245hp Yamaha Inboard 

Booked to come ashore for an engine service on her twin Yamahas this Storm Force II had a little more wrong than initially thought. During the servicing our engineers discovered that the steering pinnacle had excessive play and corrosion resulting from a failed lip seal. To rectify this we needed to remove both engines to gain access to the inner transom but once removed there was limited room to carry out the necessary works. It was decided to remove both transom shields for ease. To help manage costs, with the owners’ agreement, the pinnacle and steering arm were sent away to be re-engineered rather than replacing with new; saving around £1000. Whilst the engines were out we were asked to clean and repaint the bilge as this opportunity with the engines out doesn’t often arise! The engines were also repainted before refitting. A further issue was discovered on the port side outdrive leg - another seal had failed allowing water penetration into the leg. We removed the faulty seal, cleaned up thoroughly and replaced both the seal and leg. The vessel was then successfully marketed and sold.

Back to services